Floating sidebar

Translate

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Evaluation of anti-inflammatory properties of herbal drugs: how useful could be ATR-FTIR spectroscopy?


Abstract

Inflammation is a hallmark of some of today's most life-threatening diseases such as arteriosclerosis, cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease. Herbal medicines (HMs) are re-emerging resources in the fight against these conditions and for many of them, anti-inflammatory activity has been demonstrated. However, several aspects of HMs such as their multi-component character, natural variability and pharmacodynamic interactions (e.g. synergism) hamper identification of their bioactive constituents and thus the development of appropriate quality control (QC) workflows. In this study, we investigated the potential use of Attenuated Total Reflectance Fourier Transform Infrared (ATR-FTIR) spectroscopy as a tool to rapidly and non-destructively assess different anti-inflammatory properties of ethanolic extracts from various species of the Genus Lonicera (Caprifoliaceae). Reference measurements for multivariate calibration comprised in vitro bioactivity of crude extracts towards four key players of inflammation: Nitric oxide (NO), interleukin 8 (IL-8), peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor β/δ (PPAR β/δ), and nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B-cells (NF-κB). Multivariate analysis of variance (MANOVA) revealed a statistically significant, quantitative pattern-activity relationship between the extracts' ATR-FTIR spectra and their ability to modulate these targets in the corresponding cell models. Ensemble orthogonal partial least squares (OPLS) discriminant models were established for the identification of extracts exhibiting high and low activity with respect to their potential to suppress NO and IL-8 production. Predictions made on an independent test set revealed good generalizability of the models with overall sensitivity and specificity of 80% and 100%, respectively. Partial least squares (PLS) regression models were successfully established to predict the extracts' ability to suppress NO production and NF-κB activity with root mean squared errors of cross-validation (RMSECV) of 8.7% and 0.05-fold activity, respectively.

Evaluation of anti-inflammatory properties of herbal drugs: how useful could be ATR-FTIR spectroscopy image 1



Conclusions

Taken together the present work has demonstrated the potential use of ATR-FTIR spectroscopy for the quantitative assessment of in vitro anti-inflammatory activity of Lonicera. In particular, our data i) revealed a significant quantitative pattern-activity relationship between the here investigated extracts IR spectra and their in vitro bioactivities, ii) yielded chemometric models tailored to predict bioactivity towards NO, IL-8 and NF-κB with reasonable accuracy, and iii) allowed reliable assessment of bioactivity of extracts prepared from accessions from different origins (i.e. China, Austria), species (i.e. L. japonica, L. macrantha) and even plant organs (i.e. flower buds, leaves). The latter point underpins that the here presented approach was capable of capturing the pharmacological activity-related spectral patterns in a wide array of biologically diverse samples which goes beyond previous studies where metabolomic fingerprint data has been exploited for the prediction of bioactivity of samples from a single species only [40]. Finally, we want to point out that although correlation between spectral patterns and bioactivity does not necessarily imply a direct, causal relationship they possibly provide valuable information that might help guiding discovery of the underlying active principle(s). In light of the here presented results we conclude that ATR-FTIR in combination with pharmacological assays holds promise for the assessment of HMs beyond mere authentication and quantification of marker compounds.


Full text access
(the full text can also be obtained directly from the authors)

R. Nikzad-Langerodi, S. Ortmann, E.M. Pferschy-Wenzig, V. Bochkov, Y.M. Zhao, J.H. Miao, J. Saukel, A. Ladurner, E.H. Heiss, V.M. Dirsch, R. Bauer, A.G. Atanasov, Assessment of anti-inflammatory properties of extracts from Honeysuckle (Lonicera sp. L., Caprifoliaceae) by ATR-FTIR spectroscopy, Talanta, Available online 18 July 2017, ISSN 0039-9140 doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2017.07.045
Link from Elsevier for a free access to the publication (valid for 50 days, until September 09, 2017): https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1VP-m_w5I5HBE


Keywords relevant for this post: natural products, medicinal plants, scientific studies, research, biochemistry, herbal medicine, botanicals, phytotherapy, natural product, phytochemistry, pharmacognosy, phytochemicals, bioactivity, ATR-FTIR spectroscopy, traditional Chinese medicine, anti-inflammatory activity, plant quality control, chemometrics, cell-based assays, Lonicera, ATR-FTIR fingerprint, herbal medicines.

11 comments:

  1. Three months ago I constantly had to go to the bathroom. I thought it was because I gave up soft drinks and was only drinking water. One day I had a stomachache. I was in bed for 4 days. The doctor's appointment was for a Wednesday. I got sick and went to emergency room on a Monday. I was told my blood sugar level was 810 and I have diabetes. Since then, I eat better, take better care of myself and went from 260 to 220 lbs.and was thirsty all the time. One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, had blurry vision, a rapid heartbeat, and began hyperventilating. taking metformin 1000 mg twice daily. I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the metformin (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on Diabetes herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Diabetes natural herbal formula. i am now doing very well, Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s obvious some patients with HIV/CANCER are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2012 until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr ATAKUMA's Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about Dr ATAKUMA. Please fill free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail dr.atakumaoracle@outlook.com or whats app him on +2347064693371

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would without reservation recommend working with "Rick Simpson Oil", My honest Gratitude goes to Dr. Rick Simpson for saving my dying life with his high quality RSO Hemp Oil, with the potency of the THC content in it very high. Some years back I was diagnosed with a deadly disease cancer of the lungs, we tried all kinds of medication all to no avail and also we even tried producing the DIY Rick Simpson oil at home ourselves but we were doing more harm than worse, Until I saw a post on facebook on how Cannabis Oil had cured a cancer patient then i decided to give it a try behold when i contacted Dr. Rick Simpson & i explained every detail of my problem to him and he told me that this Cannabis Oil will heal my cancer problem only if I can order for it as soon as possible. He then calculated the dosage for me to buy i think the dosage he calculated was 60grams of the oil which I ordered plus "30grams maintenance free" I was told that if I order for the Cannabis Oil right away by the next 48 hours the medication will get to my door step through the delivery services, Immediately I ordered for it behold it was delivered with the usage instruction manual at the exact time which i was told by Dr. Rick Simpson, Today i can boldly say I'm now free from my Cancer problem all Thanks to God Almighty, Dr. Rick Simpson and my lovely wife who stood by me during those years. I'm now living a healthy life and my utmost priority of sharing this short testimony is for those who are suffering from this Deadly Cancer Disease, Please don’t die in silence there is a cure for this Deadly Cancer Disease today. Without wasting more time kindly Contact Dr. Rick Simpson for ( "Rick Simpson Oil" RSO ) via Email: cbdoilfort@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1-781-656-7138.

    Today I acknowledge the greatness of Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil and to those that wish to purchase the medication kindly contact Dr. Rick Simpson via Email: cbdoilfort@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1-781-656-7138.
    Cannabis Oil is the medication for Cancerous Disease. Save your life and that of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. www.michaeltelvi.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Succeed! It could be one of the most useful blogs we have ever come across on the subject. Excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort very well. Thanks for the huge help. Kratom Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! buy lsd gel tabs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm… I interpret blogs on a analogous issue, however i never visited your blog. I added it to populars also i’ll be your faithful primer. cbd relax gummies

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Ozempic Pens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great read. This product can be very successful and can work for anyone.
    ozempic and weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fismool Air Humidifiers sets the bar high for wholesalers in the industry. Their commitment to innovation and customer satisfaction shines through in every product they offer. We've been consistently impressed with the performance of their humidifiers, as have our clients. The reliability and efficiency of Fismool's products make them a top choice for businesses looking to enhance indoor air quality. Partnering with Fismool has undoubtedly elevated our offerings and strengthened our position in the market. fismool Air humidifiers

    ReplyDelete